Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Fallen from the skies





They told me love is like a star – I’d try to reach it,
But it would be too far.
There was only contempt in my eyes
When I looked at them, and smiled.

The fool that I am
I began to uncurl
Like a flower,
And my petals did unfurl.
With my wings I did soar,
I did fly,
Ever higher than before
In the deep hued sky.

Then came the unexpected crash
I didn’t know what hit me
You’d laugh to know how I tumbled.
You’d laugh to see how I fumbled.
Was it that fleeting gaze?
But why did it leave me in such a chaotic daze?
Oh, yes, green and blue his sharp eyes did twinkle,
Like a candle flame where salt is sprinkled.
The thread of love he wove around me,
And in the hollow of my heart,
A scarlet flame burned
And I began to long
Long evermore,
For that warm embrace,
For that careless brush on the cheek,
For that passionate kiss,
I knew I was in love.
And then I tried to reach it.


But in vain.
I grasped blindly again, and again and again,
The strife made me insane.
It drove me mad, it drove me wild,
In the end that scarlet flame wholly engulfed me.
I was broken
I was lost
I was scarred
I was rent
I was fading away,
While those tears of blood flowed down my face.
Then, rocking softly, softly, softly
To the shadows I was left whispering-

“Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder what you are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky.”


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...
nice. 1st verse is just like you.headstrong. who is this about?

Anonymous said...

The one above is me. thought you'd like to know.

Lúthien Táralóm said...

Thanks Fëanáro. This peom is really about me, that's why the first verse sounds like me.
Well it was written about the time I was hurt by Robert, but I can't attribute this to him so much. Some was inspired by Robert Browning's Pied Piper, a little from the Imp and also somehow I was really pleased that I could fit the nursery rhyme so perfectly when i was randomely writing this. So I thought I'd perfect it. And this was the result.