Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Through Time...




A note beforehand – This poem portrays what a lady vampire and her sire shared. Time changes a lot, and this poem portrays what she felt and what she had to go through. Each part portrays a different phase she goes through. The whole piece has been written partly in poetry and partly in prose.


PART I

The sound of soft footfalls in the steps,
And a flicker of fruitless hope flamed in her heart again.
But as they faded
A soft sigh left her lips,
And her eyes dimmed once more.


She looked at herself in the mirror and mockingly smiled,
That she was moved to smile at all.
A cascade of ebony brushed her shoulder,
Oh! What a shoulder
The golden hue of sheaves of wheat in autumn.
Her bitter chocolate eyes smouldered with passion.
How many would give all to touch that velvet skin?
So many,
But…
And her eyes dimmed once more.

**

PART II


Peals of playful laughter filled the air,
Like a raptured fruit overflowing.
Green and blue his sharp eyes twinkled,
And a smile sparkled upon her face.

“I’m never happier than when I’m with you,” she said flushed with joy.
“I try to be there always, my beautiful girl,
I just seem to be disappointing you in so many ways,” he said, a shadow across his face.
“you’ll never disappoint me,” she whishpered lovingly.

With a secret smile upon his face,
He pulled her into a warm embrace,
“I love you,” he quietly said.
“And I love you too.”

**

PART III


Her heart longed for him,
And her eyes looked far away,
Envisaging a place where she was eternally in his warm embrace,
Locked within a deep kiss.
Where she could look into his loving eyes,
Thinking of what it would be like to be with him,
To touch him,
To…

The glass slipped, crashing onto the floor,
Shattering into a thousand pieces.
And she watched the blood, her wine, spill.
Dipping her finger into the deep, red liquid,
She licked it off.

He had done this to her.
Her Sire.
But she had loved him so much,
And she loved him still,
And her eyes dimmed once more.

**

PART IV


The sands of time were the desert between them,
He loved her,
And she loved him more.
They were so different, and yet, so deep in love.
She was young, beautiful,
A darling fawn in a spritely dance.
He was older, he was graver,
He had played the game of Life,
And Death
A little more.

But the chaos in his life
Left that emptiness in hers.
He couldn’t be there for her enough
But she had loved him so much,
She loved him still
And her eyes dimmed once more.

**

PART V

“Why are you doing this to me?”
Her piercing shriek was like a whipcrack through the air.
Her eyes were red with crying.
She was in despair.
“Please don’t leave me like this,
Don’t let go.”

She slit her wrists in pain,
But no blood flowed out.
All was in vain.
“I’d rather die than live without you,
But I am in this cage.”
And she cried, and cried, and cried.

Then suddenly once her eyes burned alive,
And she flew into a rage.
“I don’t need you,” she screamed out.
“I don’t need you at all
I can live without you,
I hate you so much.”
And her eyes dimmed once more.

**

PART VI

The streets were bathed in moonlight.
A soft swish of a cloak here,
A glimpse of a silken glove there,
Treading in her dark, velvet boots she was out a hunting;
To have a little fun.

A chattering voice she heard
He was the only one.
She smirked.
The tall, dark, handsome sort,
Rather pleased with himself,
Yes, his blood would be hers.
She moved in for the kill,
Till,
Stunned, she stopped,
For this is what she heard:

“Yes, I think she’s falling in love with me, I quite like her too. The problem is, I barely have any time for her. I can’t decide what to do. But I don’t think I should tell her no. it’s really okay. It doesn’t matter. I’ll have a good time anyway. I won’t tell her no.

Then what she’d suppressed for months
Welled up, swelled up,
Her mask shattered,
All torn and battered
In her blaze of rage,
Swift as a shadow,
She stood before him
Looking at him with her pitiless eyes she whispered:
“She deserves better than you.”

Then deep into him her fangs she sunk,
And drained him of his blood.
Barely living he lay on the cold, grey stone
Shivering, fear in his eyes, white as bone.
In a fit of wrath her dagger did she unsheathe,
And stabbed him, and slashed him,
Relishing in his every scream.
Till in a pool of blood he lay,
Dipping her finger in the deep, red liquid,
She licked it off.

He had done this to her,
Her Sire.
She had loved him so much,
She loved him still,
And her eyes dimmed once more.

**

PART VII

Slipping back into her room that night,
Try what she might,
She thought she could never be at peace.
Looking out into the deep blue sky
Gazing she realized,
She had to let go of him.

She had been a fool even to try
To make herself wait
And cry.
Those tears had been in vain,
And she did what she never before did dare,
She accepted what she felt for him and let it go.
And no longer did the memories remain.

“I’ve heard a lot of beautiful things,” she began whispering into the night
“And we’ve even had our fights,
I’ve said I hated you,
And even that without you I’d die. I still wonder why
We had to say goodbye.


But will I ever really feel you love again?
Will you ever fold me in your arms again?
I don’t know.
And now I don’t care.

With that quiet resolve in her mind,
She smiled.
And turned away.

******

10 comments:

vot and vot not said...

you've changed the ending!

Lúthien Táralóm said...

Yes, and I prefer it this way. Maybe you should check my blog more to see the stuff I do.
*hmph*

Anonymous said...

why do you prefer it this way? because the situation has changed now? that doesn't mean that whatever happened and whatever you felt when you wrote the original has changed.

Lúthien Táralóm said...

Yes, I know that whatever happened and whatever I felt when I wrote the original hasn't changed. But I've changed, even if that feeling then hasn't, it has changed now. I've become more mature, and I think I handle it better now.
I prefer it this way, because it's a portrayal of the fact that I've managed to move on, and become a better person.
The situation hasn't changed Fëanáro, the person has.
And anyway, the poem's better now as well.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad.

Lúthien Táralóm said...

*smiles*

Lúthien Táralóm said...

For guitargeorge:
This was the original Part VII-

Slipping back into her room that night
Try what she might ,
She thought she could never be at peace.
Looking out into the deep blue sky
Gazing, she realised
She could never stop loving him.

She had been a fool to even try
For we can never stop loving those we have once loved;
The memories remain.
She might have said she hated him,
She might have said she didn't care
She might have said he was just like any other to her,
But deep in her soul she realised,
And did what she never before did dare,
She accepted what she felt for him.

" I know I said a lot of hard things," She began whispering into the night,
"And we've even had our fights,
I've said I hated you.
The truth is, that it isn't possible,
Because without you i'd die.
I still wonder why
We had to say goodbye.

Will I ever really feel your love again?
Will you ever fold me in your arms again?
I don't know.

But whatever it may take
And however my heart breaks,
I'll keep waiting here for you."

And with that quiet resolve in mind,
She smiled.
And turned away.
******************

Compare it to the one on my blog now, and you'll understand. The one on my blog presently was written this October. The original poem was written about a year or two ago.
In case you don't understand, just ask.

Subhayu said...

well u know its amazing how a few lines of poetry, just one verse can make something so complicated, appear crystal clear....

Lúthien Táralóm said...

Yes I know. More suprising is how when you try to explain it otherwise you sound like crap, but it's so perfect in poetry.

Subhayu said...

If u can listen to this song called Every Rose has it's Thorns by a band called poison.......it's written along the same lines........