Friday, November 03, 2006

Flame

Well this was my second attempt at an optimistic poem and although it’s quite optimistic in the end, it’s rather depressive at the start. I just seem to be jinxed with optimistic poems don’t I?

And it’s just another day,
And I feel lost, and lonely
In some way hollow and empty
I know I want to be whole
I know my mind searches;
For that sparkling jewel that few find
Glittering somewhere in the dimness of that lone candlelight;
For, that pink hued rose
That blossoms in the warm dewy springs,
And the fragrance of life that it brings.


Everyday is just like the other
Nothing fulfilling to show of my day,
Nothing spirited ever to say,
No joyful memory,
To which my mind can stray;
And no enduring happiness ever to stay.


I’m beginning to hate
Hate everything
But I don’t hate me
Or maybe I do.
A feeling of suffocation and disgust,
Suffocation that cankers, rots and reeks.


I feel caught and trapped and caged,
Mired by the endless questions
Lost in confusion,
Weakened by helplessness,
And overwhelmed by a sense of senselessness.


And then in the silence of solitude
Of dark hours
And many sleepless nights
And thoughts too many to bear
And conflicts too painful to share
A small understanding dawned,
A light arose from the dying seas
And a flickering flame was given to me.


And many times since then,
It has burned bright,
Or flickered weakly
And even died at night.
But I made myself kindle it again,
And I toil to keep it alive,
My life has meaning,
And now I am alive.

8 comments:

TheLadyLazarus said...

Hmmmm.....

"The quickness of the eye
Decieves the mind."

Lúthien Táralóm said...

In which way??

Ritwika said...

As I asked earlier, why this obsession with Optimism? Hmm? Why can nobody ever appreciate the sadness that inspires you to write such beautiful poetry? Hmm?
Well, actually, I guess I'm saying that cause I can never write poetry, and I hate it when people who can, find something negative to say about their work. I'm not making sense, am I?

Ha ha.

Anyhow, I did love it. You're brilliant. Either way.

Lúthien Táralóm said...

Ate it's not an obsession with optimism but with something that I can't do yet and want to be able to achieve. I’m sure if I could write optimistic poetry I’d be tearing my hair about how to write one good pessimistic poem.
I do appreciate the feelings that inspire my poetry; of course, it's just horrid to be depressed. But it's good when I manage to come up with something worthwhile.
And by the way, I’m sure if you tried you could write excellent poetry. Give yourself a chance.

Anonymous said...

i understand that you feel this sad , depressed way. my question is why?? and what is the flame, literally? sorry, it's a dumb question, but i don't get it.

Lúthien Táralóm said...

I don't feel this sad and depressed anymore Fëanáro. My God, I thought you knew me. I was under such a misconception wasn't I now?
These poems here are usually written quite a while ago. I just wanted to put them up on the blog, as I think they're good enough to be there.
The reason why I felt so sad and depressed was because something sad and depressing had happened to me.
I can't put the flame literally to one thing, but something like a will to live, and be happy, to move on.
Do you get it now?

Anonymous said...

yes, princess. i do.
one question, is the reason for you not being sad and depressed the same as what i think it is? don't ask me what i think it is, i know you know whatever it is that i think i know that you know.

Lúthien Táralóm said...

Ummm...can you please not give me riddles to decipher? I don't understand a word of your last comment. What do you think it is?? [I had to ask you know]